Building Communities using Organic Groups
Drupal is used all over the world for running online communities. The Organic Groups module is what powers many of these sites including Energy.gov, The Economist, and groups.drupal.org itself. Organic Groups is also simple enough to use to quickly spin up community and non-profit sites for online collaboration.
At this session you'll learn:
- The basics of Organic Groups and some of it's common terminology.
- How to plan your content and community management model.
- The changes to Organic Groups in Drupal 7, and what's in store in the 2.x branch now in beta.
- How to put together a basic group page using Views and Panels.
- Also how to quickly build out a group-oriented site for panels-less sites using the OG Extras module.
This session will assume very little knowledge of Drupal, but a basic understanding of content types, fields, and Views will certainly be beneficial. If you've inherited a Drupal site running Organic Groups, or want to add Organic Groups to your Drupal repertoire, this is the presentation for you!